Repair Cafe Wales are now seeking Board Directors, including a Chair, to help drive this innovative Community Interest Company forward and successfully navigate its continued, rapid expansion. Board meetings are held monthly in Cardiff. The role requires a time commitment of 3 to 4 days per month.
Founded in 2017, Repair Cafe Wales opens and supports repair cafés in communities across Wales to share skills, reduce waste and build community resilience. In their simplest form, repair cafés are pop-up events run on regular dates where the local community can get their broken household items repaired for free by volunteers.
With initial funding to open 8 repair cafés, the organisation has achieved remarkable success by launching and supporting 28 repair cafés across Wales. RCW’s work in developing a best-practice partnership model for successful repair cafés amounts to a flagship ‘first’ for Wales and is followed keenly by aspiring organisations in England and Scotland.
The Board Director Role
- Provide leadership to assist with Board discussions, decision-making and the development of Repair Cafe Wales Strategic Plan.
- Be an effective ambassador for Repair Cafe Wales by representing the organisation, acting as a spokesperson and contributing to the success of the organisation by providing adequate time, thought and energy to the role.
- Guide the executive in the successful fulfilment of projects; providing expert advice where appropriate.
- Broadening its partnership base.
- Adhere to the principles of good governance; ensuring the organisation is carrying out its agreed purpose and is delivering a benefit within the agreed organisational goals.
What we’re looking for in a Board Member
- A team player with considerable leadership experience and understanding of governance, you will also possess specific knowledge and experience in one of the following areas: Strategic Planning, Finance, Funding, Data & Digital, Legal, Governance or HR.
- An understanding or appreciation of the sectors and partners with which Repair Cafe Wales operates and the ability to use your experience to help face key challenges and make the most of potential opportunities.
- Well-developed communication and relationship building skills, you will be a highly credible ambassador for Repair Cafe Wales to build networks with a range of stakeholders.
- A passion for the ethos and values of Repair Cafe Wales – sharing skills, reducing waste and building community resilience to help communities across Wales and beyond.
- Ideally located to attend monthly board meetings in Cardiff.
To apply, please submit your CV and covering email to email@example.com noting Board Director Application as the subject.